Mythologies

 I'm sure I'm far from the first and will not be the last person to do this, but: I have a tendency to mythologise my life.

Once upon a time, without my even realising it, someone almost convinced me that this tendency, this too-earnest meaning-making, was something to be mildly embarrassed about. That fairytales and stories and myths had nothing to do with Real Life.

Can you imagine? That for a while I actually started to believe this?

(When I literally began the paragraph-before-last with the phrase "once upon a time", and didn't even notice until just now?)

We write and re-write our own stories constantly. This year changed my life, and this one, and this one. This was the year that taught me the lesson. This was the moment I realised. This was the voyage that shaped me, and this one, and this one. This place is written on to my subconscious, this song sings my heart, this story made me who I am. Every sunset leaving an indelible mark.

Comments