Farewell to Wordpress

 Perhaps it's not such a bad thing to change online 'homes' every decade or so.

After about ten years over at seriouslywhimsical.wordpress.com, I've made the decision to relocate and build a different nest here. The final change in the winds that prompted the move was recent changes made to the Wordpress editor, which made composing and editing a simple blog post almost literally impossible (you'd think for a blogging platform they'd recognise that was a dumb move, but there you go). It's also become more and more flooded with intrusive ads in recent years, which break up posts and even add 'sponsored' posts to your blog without your consent (what is this crap, geocities??)

But more than that, I also feel that some of my old writing from the first blog is pretty dated and written by a much younger and highly opinionated self, one that can have a slight cringe factor sometimes. I don't think there's any pieces of writing there where I've totally changed my mind on something, but if I were writing on the same topic now, it would probably look quite different.

At this point in my life, I have washed up on a slightly different shore, somewhat battered and waterlogged and rougher around the edges. Probably still just as opinionated on the inside, but (hopefully) somewhat less obnoxious about it on the outside.

I don't blog much any more anyway - it's mostly just my yearly reading list these days - but every so often I feel the urge to put something into words, in a place where I can share it (and that's longer than the Twitter character-limit).

I may copy over some posts from the old blog that I'm particularly proud of, with a note of original publication date, but mostly I'll just have a fresh start and a blank page.

I'm gonna squeeze it and make lemonade.

Comments